At NMS German plays a special role, since the subject also serves to enable students to participate successfully in other subjects taught in German. The skills taught are: comprehension of literary and non-literary texts, writing texts taking into account different types of texts and addressees, handling language, mastery of the rules of the German language.
Highlights in different grades are:
- Ballad festival in year 7
- German Olympics in year 9
- Speech competition in year 10
At the beginning of grade 7, students are divided into mother tongue (level C according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages) or partner tongue (level B according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages), depending on the use of the language and knowledge of vocabulary, spelling and grammar. It is quite possible that students are assigned to mother tongue classes, even if they were assigned to partner tongue classes in primary school.
Through the different courses we can respond to our students’ needs and support them in the best possible way.
For students who are admitted to our school without any knowledge of German (A-level), we offer lessons at the so-called “Lernbüro”", where they receive German lessons exclusively on a rotating basis for half a school day per week. Within a maximum of two years, they should reach level A2 and then attend our partner tongue classes with their classmates.
Through our curriculum we prepare our students for the following:
- BBR and MSA
- Requirements of German lessons in the orientation phase 11th grade (consideration of the two possible ways Abitur/IB)
- Requirements of German lessons in the upper school (Abitur)
- Requirements for teaching German at the International Baccalaureate (IB) with the programs German Language & Literature A, German B and German ab initio
School Internal Curriculum - Part C – Subjekt: German
- Teaching Levels in grades 7 to 10 according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages