Workshops at Nelson Mandela School give students an opportunity to explore new ideas and experience new ways of doing things that go beyond the curriculum. Workshops are mandatory but ungraded except for participation.
Workshops in B24 & P30 Secondary Year 7-10 take place on Tuesdays in the 9th & 10th period.
Extra C’s are extra activities for students, staff and parents that occur at lunch, after school, in the evenings and on Friday afternoons. Extra C’s are generally done by external providers who charge a fee. A few Extra C’s are held by staff which are free.
Any questions about the secondary workshops and Extra C’s can be addressed to any of the social pedagogues.
A student organized group with a membership of over 30 students, the Gender & Sexuality Alliance is open to all students in the lower and upper secondary. The Alliance is open to any NMS students interested in learning about, sharing their experiences with or helping to provide information on LGBT+ related issues.
Our main task is the distribution of information on LGBT+ issues in order to create more understanding and ultimately a safe space for LGBT+ individuals at our school. In the past we have raised awareness mainly through poster campaigns within our school as well as a video outlining each of our members individual reasons for supporting LGBT+ rights.
Any potential members may reach us at
Members of the Alliance generally meet every Thursday at 15:00 in Room N.1 (the global learning room). Check out and join our Facebook Page at “NMS Gender Sexuality Alliance” for details like meeting times, future projects, etc.
Our Staff Advisor and group contact person is Mr. Langhans.
- 27 students between the ages of 12 and 20 now play in the NMS Orchestra and share their joy of music of various eras and styles.
- At the moment, we practice on Thursdays from 15:05 to 16:40 in the Aula or in room 311. We always welcome new members!
- Orchestra counts as a workshop in the lower secondary. In the upper secondary, it can either be an additional course for the Abitur or count towards the CAS hours for the IB.
|... our performance in November 2015 in the Spiegelsaal of the Musikakademie in Rheinsberg||... we play in all weather (Festival of Nations 2016)|
Rehearsal excursion: Once a year, we go on a rehearsal excursion on which we concentrate on rehearsing new material in intensive and concentrated sessions. There is also always time for activities involving new combinations of ensembles and, of course, for social contacts.
Next rehearsal excursion: June 2017
Events: The orchestra performs regularly at music evenings or at other events at school (for example assemblies, conferences, graduation ceremonies).
Here are the next ones:
- Abi/IB-Graduation: Friday, 7.7.2017
Logo: Helen Rahim, 10c
BUNDjugend (Young Friends of the Earth) is a grassroots network of young people and youth organisations working collectively for social and environmental justice on a local, national and European level. As of 2014, the Nelson Mandela school has teamed up with BUNDjugend Berlin to form our very own student-led group! We already have 30 members and Mr. van Dijk is our group advisor.
NMS BUNDjugend currently meets weekly on Wednesdays from 14:15-15:00, P30, Room N1.1. Contact
- Raising Awareness and Funds to save an acre of rainforest
- Raising Awareness and Funds to provide the school with informative books, DVD’s on topics such as renewable energy, climate justice and global warming. We’ll first bring the materials to B24 (since they are setting up a library and need materials) followed by materials to P23 and then to P30.
- Also, working with the Berlin BUND Jugend on other projects and actions on a city-wide and country-wide basis!